Former chapel of San foot of the castle

José Luis Vaño Pont and Miguel Sempere Martínez tell us in their book Brotherhood of St. George and regarding the mentioned hermitage the following:

«This hermitage was located at the foot of the castle, next to the current students' masset (…), where the Monument to Sant Jordi is currently located, possibly being the first to be built in our town, and of which currently only part of its foundations are preserved.

It was square in plan, and there are photographs in which you can see it.

The oldest written news we have of her, date of 24 October 1610, on the occasion of the pastoral visit of the Archbishop of Valencia, San Juan de Ribera, in which the third precept orders that it be done “an altarpiece for the good, decent and worthy custody of the image of Saint George in his hermitage located in the castle”.

In Her Majesty's Royal Order of 18 April 1790, in the list of the first two parties of the four that make up the Archdiocese of Valencia, appears: “near Bañeres, On a rock there is a castle surrounded by somewhat demolished walls that were renovated in 1700, When the wars of succession were in the Troop of Mr.. Felipe Quinto, When the Battle of Almansa took place, and there was a Chapel dedicated to N.S. Saint George that is currently unused to celebrate Mass”.

This hermitage was gradually abandoned, until in the years 1930, approximately, was completely ruined.

When in the postwar, the parish priest Don Lucas Tomás Gilabert, He deeded the assets of the parish in our town, did not register this lot, as he commented, due to its small extension, becoming municipal property, being later sold to José María Pascual Castelló (Pompey), which in turn, the 21 October 1986, He symbolically sold it to the Confraternity of Sant Jordi, to allocate it to the cult of the Saint».

When the drought threatened to end the crops in our fields, which at that time were very important in the economy of Banyeres, the Rogatives were organized, that leaving the parish temple they went to the named “Water crosses”, carrying in procession the image of Sant Jordi “the old man”, begging for rain.

Also when the stone threatened, she was taken to her hermitage, there the priest “conspired” praying alone·asking for Heaven's help, that's why this hermitage is called “the conjurer”, at the same time that the bell of Sant Jordi was rolled in the parish, and how it is reflected in our Joys to the saint: “When the storm rages, your bell rings and instantly the storm is already heading in the opposite direction.”.