News in the newspaper Crónica de Banyeres – February 2023 (2)


Download document »



They will renew all the bells in the bell tower

The bell tower and the renewal of its bells has been one of the main news this month. The four bells: St. Ursula (instal·side in 1940), The Pure One (in 1946), Our Lady of Mercy (1948) and St. George (1951), have been moved to the Cemetery, havent- se cabbage·located in an area of ​​the esplanade that faces the altar. The action was carried out between 24 and the 25 February, in a year in which they get married 83 years since college·location of the first i 72 from the last one.

All were in operation except Santa Úrsula, what in 2014 it broke lengthwise due to lack of maintenance, a situation that caused only three of the four existing ones to ring in recent years and only four of them, in the case of burials and funerals, despite the detuning caused by the deteriorated bell.

The project to renovate the bells began to take shape in May 2021 after the Brotherhood of Sant Jordi showed intention to replace the bell that bears the name of the Patrón. Change one of the four bells, to keep one of them broken and to prolong a set affected by obvious sound problems due to the low quality of the metals with which they were made at the time and the wear and tear they showed in the area where the battles hit, it was a matter that was put on the table. That is why the initial idea of ​​replacing just one evolved into considering the renovation of the whole set.

The new bells will be of high quality bronze and, except for unforeseen circumstances, s'wait it's cabbage·they sell on Sunday 16 of April and which can be premiered coinciding with the Moors and Christians festivals. The design and calculation of dimensions was carried out by the Dutch campanologist Gideon Bodden. Abel Portilla will do the foundry work, one of the best bell specialists in all of Europe who has his workshop in Gajano (Cantabria). And the assembly and disassembly of the old ones, the company Electro Recamp is in charge, of Atzeneta d'Albaida, handling Grúas Rigar, Valencia, of the task of lowering and raising them. The main bell will continue to be called Our Lady of Mercy (of 1142 kg), the second will continue to be that of Sant Jordi (571 kg), the third stops being called Santa Úrsula and goes on to call herself Santa Maria Magdalena (340 kg) and the fourth and smallest is no longer La Puríssima and will now be called Santa Llúcia (240 kg). The parish has indicated that the project has the support of the council and that the confraternities of Sant Jordi have joined it, Santa Maria Magdalena and Santa Lucia, assuming the commitment that the bells of their devotions are a reality.

The first part of the project has already been done. The bells have been moved to the Cemetery in an action carried out by the company Electro Recamp with the support of members of the Campanars de la Misericordia guild. Now they will be cleaned, greased and arranged so that they can ring in each Mass 25 d'abril, Saint Christ's Day, in memory and tribute to the dead, as well as November 1, Feast of All Saints.