working “Universality of San Jorge”

Leonardo Ferre Tree

Download file
Download file

In honor of St George

Index
Lifetime, martyrdom and legends
Childhood, education and military vocation
Martyrdom of Saint George
Legends
-Legend of Saint George and the Dragon
-Warrior legends
-Legend of Saint George Verde
Devotion and local worship
Origins of the devotion to the saint in Banyeres
Brotherhood of Saint George
The conjurer
– Old hermitage of the saint at the foot of the castle
– Image of Saint George ‘’ the Vellet ’’
– The prayers
Relics
– Primitive relic of Saint George
– The relic of Saint George of 1780
– 2º Relic of Saint George (2003)
– II Centenary of the arrival of the relic in Banyeres
Altar of Saint George
– Ancient Image of Saint George
– Current altar in the Church of Sta. Maria
Image of Saint George
– Ancient image of Saint George
– Image of Saint George
– Saint George's bracelet
The dressing room of San Jorge
Andas and Image
– Image of Saint George ’’ el Xicotet ’’
– The litter of Saint George ‘’ el Xicotet ’’
Hermitage of San Jorge
– A neo-Gothic hermitage in the "solí sol"
– Recovery and restoration
Monuments
The pallium
– History of the pallium
– The pallium of Saint George
The joys
– The people's song
– Words and music of the joys to Saint George
the Script
– The script of Saint George
Dress
– Old cope and Dalmatics
The window
The anthem
La Missade sant Jordi
– Mass of St. George
– Interview with Francisco José Molina Rubio.
Old church- winery of san Jorge
‘The legend of Saint George, the dragon and the princess ''
– The legend of St. George, Princess and the Dragon
– Interview with Jordi García Vilar.
Survey to the town of Banyeres on San Jorge
Saint George and the Moors and Christians festivities (in Banyeres)
Global devotion and worship
Patronazgos
– Places of worship
– Knights patron
– Pattern of peoples and nations
– Toponymy and onomastics
World and state maps on everything related to Saint George

Iconography
Iconographic exhibition of St. George (Banyeres de Mariola, 18,19 Y 20 November 2011)
Classification of works on Saint George
-Saint George, roman officer
-Saint George slaying a snake
-The martyrdom of Saint George
-St. George and the Dragon
-Saint George, standard-bearer of the nobility
-Saint George and other saints with the Virgin Mary.
-Other representations.
-Post stamps
-Coins
Bibliography
Thanks

Childhood, education and military vocation
The tradition, based on primitive texts, has extracted as true a biography of Saint George. This tradition says that the holy martyr was born in a small town called Mytilene, Cappadocia region (in present-day Turkey), son of christian parents, in the bosom of a wealthy family. Upon the death of his father, martyred for his catholic faith, his mother and brothers moved to Palestine.
Jorge entered the Roman militia, in which he stood out for his virtues and human qualities. These achievements led him to occupy the position of commander. When his mother dies, moves to Nicomedia, the favorite city of the emperor Diocletian, city ​​adorned with temples and palaces.
When Diocletian publishes the edict that obliges all citizens to worship Apollo, Jorge distributes his goods among the poor and confronts the emperor. He dies 23 April of the year 303 after suffering countless torments.

The most widespread belief says that the saint died in Lydia, Palestine, near present-day Tel Aviv, the land where he spent his childhood after the death of his father. It was said that there is his grave, revered since ancient times. Precisely, Lydia is known by the name of Hagio Georgiopolis, that is to say, the city of San Jorge. It has always been a place of pilgrimage, highly revered by the inhabitants of the various religious confections in the area. The soldier Saladin I destroyed the temple of St. George of Lydda and razed the entire population at the end of the 12th century. Currently there is a simple chapel with a sepulcher, where the saint continues to be worshiped.
Other populations dispute to be the place where the martyrdom of the saint took place, such as Armenia, Sebastianópolis, the Tecua. The most popular belief is that the martyrdom took place in Rama.
Martyrdom of Saint George
Early christians, describe in their own way, certainly fanciful and with a lot of symbols. This is how the oldest and most beloved legend by the Eastern Church was born. It starts from the various versions of the apocryphal acts that narrate the martyrdom of Saint George. It describes the torments that the saint has to suffer for having refused to obey the edict of the Emperor Diocletian.
According to this legend, the Roman emperor Diocletian venerated Apollo above all gods and celebrated magnificent sacrifices in his honor.. One day, when Diocletian was consulting him the future, Apollo replied that righteous men were an obstacle to predicting the future. How Christians were the most righteous men on earth, Diocletian declared war on them.
In those days a brave soldier was active in the army, born to Cappadocia, of Christian parents and named Jorge. Due to the nobility of his origin, he was appointed military tribune. No one knew that this young man was a Christian. Jorge, I was twenty years old then, when he saw the harshness of the army against Christians , distributed his wealth among the poor, I free the slaves and in front of the senate, began to speak in defense of the Christian God and against the pagan gods. He confessed himself a Christian.
The emperor, feeling betrayed, forced him to worship the pagan Gods if he did not want to renounce the privileges of the military. But Jorge refused saying that the kingdom expired, fleeting and fragile of the emperor he could not with the immortal kingdom that God offered him and that no torment would not make him change his mind.
Diocletian ordered the guard to put him in jail. In the dungeon they tied him up and put a huge stone on his chest. But that's not why he gave up on God, quite the opposite; he still warned the emperor that such a superficial torture would not make him deny his Christian status.
Then the emperor ordered that he be subjected to another torture. They tied him stretched out to a table on which all nails were arranged, I went over the body a wheel full of knives. Jorge first prayed out loud, but then I fell asleep. Diocletian was thought to be dead and went to worship the god Apollo. But then I hear a voice saying: ‘’Jorge, do not be afraid ’’ and everyone saw how the young man was released from the machine, intact.
They took him to the temple, in front of the emperor, you couldn't believe it. Those who immediately recognized him converted to the Christian faith. The Empress Alexandra herself, she left before her husband realized her conversion.
The tyrant ordered Jorge to be buried in lime for three days and on the third, The soldiers would see what was left and bury the remains so that no servant could venerate them. But when the soldiers took it down, they found he looked splendid. Those who had gathered in that place worship their God.
The emperor's anger grew. He made fun of him by making him wear iron sandals with nails. Jorge spent all day and all night in the dungeon. The next day, again in front of the senate, the emperor again forced him to make sacrifices to the pagan gods. And Jorge refused again; That is why the emperor ordered everyone present to beat his mouth and beat him with the nerves of a bull.. And even with this, there was nothing to take the smile off his face.
Diocletian, convinced that this was a work of magic, he thought that the best way to combat that enemy of the gods was with magic. So I call a magician to make him decide with his arts or take his life.
The magician showed some glasses of drugs; one served to drive him crazy; the other was to kill him. They made him try the first glass but Jorge did not experience any change, and then, the second did not have any effect.
Questioned by Diocletian, Jorge replied that he was following the call of Christ and that, trusting, to the case of his discipline not to be afraid of bodily death, why in this way, those who believe in Christ will be able to do everything that He does, how to illuminate the blind, cure leper or raise dead.
The magician advised Diocletian to invite George to resurrect a dead man, thing they had never seen the gods they worshiped do. The emperor listened to him. Jorge praying to God, made a dead man revive, which came out of its own foot from the chest where they had put it. The man ran to the saint and knelt in front; the magician also adored the omnipotent God. But Diocletian, discredited, silenced the people and said it was all a slander, a hoax between Jorge, the magician and the risen man. That is why he ordered to kill the magician and the resurrected and arrested Jorge again.
In prison the holy man dreamed that Christ embraced him and told him that it was time for them to return to the kingdom of heaven and that therefore, accept everything that was going to happen to him.
The next day he made Jorge enter the temple of the pagan gods and he did so without resisting. But a little later, in front of the statue of Apollo, the sign of the cross was drawn on the forehead and then the spirits that lived inside the statues began to shout that there was only one God, the one that Jorge preached. They all immediately fell to the ground destroyed.
Furious, a few hit the saint. The news of the miracle spreads through the city, I reached the ears of the empress, who ran to the temple and without any qualms bowed before the saint and denied the pagan gods. Diocletian, full of anger for everyone, and even more for the change of the empress, ordered to kill her and Jorge with the sword.
Before die, Jorge prayed to God to forgive those ignorant people who had subjected him to so much torment so that, one day, they too could enjoy the kingdom of Christ. Saint George died beheaded in the 23 of April

Legends
The legend of Saint George and the dragon.
It is also named as the golden legend. It deals with the well-known fight of Saint George against the dragon to liberalize the princess who was about to be devoured. Iacopo da Varazze, Dominican and Archbishop of Genoa published it in the year 1264.
On one of his trips, Jorge went through Silene, in the province of Libya. In a lake near this city lived a fierce dragon, that with your breath, wreaked havoc on the fortress.
The inhabitants of that town, so that the monster would not annihilate the city, they offered two sheep every day. But you no longer had the good cattle you used to, nor did you raise everything you needed in the corrals. They decided to give him a human creature daily. They did it by lot; no family got rid. And when all the young women were eaten, luck fell to the only daughter of the king.
The old king begged '' Take my gold and my incense, my palace and my kingdom, But leave me my daughter so that I can save her from such a horrible death. '' But the people responded angrily, '' It was you, king who made the edict, and because of you the daughters of your kingdom have died sacrificed to the dragon year after year. Do you want your daughter to escape the law. No, has to die like the others. ’’ The king accepted everything the people told him, and with the eyes filled with tears, He went to his daughter saying. '' My daughter, what will i do without you. I will not be able to see your nuptials, nor invite the princes of the whole country, nor fill the palace with pearls, nor hear the joyous singing of trumpets and organs. Instead of all that, I have to take the dragon to eat you. ’’ . The young woman received her father's blessing and set out to the lake. Saint George, who was passing by asked him why he was crying. She warned him to leave if he didn't want his life to end as tragically as it was going to happen to her.. Saint George insisted and the young woman told him the story. Once I hear the whole story, told the young woman not to worry.
At that very moment the fierce dragon appeared from the bushes. Saint George addressed the princess and reassured her with a few words. After, he crossed himself and after several efforts he managed to kill the dragon.
The people were petrified in front of that event. They did not give credit. When they finally reacted they all went to thank Saint George. The king, full of joy, offered him a good deal of gold. The saint accepted it, He took it and distributed it to the poor. Saint George said goodbye, He got on the horse and galloped off claiming that place.
Other versions say that with the cord of his tunic he tied the wounded dragon around the neck and gave it to the princess. The young woman walked her around the walls of the Vila like a meek dog. People seeing her with the scared twisted beast. When they reached the concentric square, Saint George delivered the deadly thrust to the fierce dragon.
This legend was previously considered completely true. At present it has been in decline, although to understand it you have to take into account all the symbolism and interpretations it has.
The ancient Christians would interpret it as if Saint George were the representation of all believers, the white horse would be the Church and the dragon would be a figuration of evil, of idolatry and paganism.
This legend can also be understood as an alternative to Saint Michael the Archangel.
To end, this legend has elements in common with the classical myth Perseus saving the Ethiopian princess Andromeda from the clutches of the gorgora Medusa. In both cases there is a dragon / gorgora that threatens a princess. This is saved by a hero (Saint George / Theseus) that has a reward (marriage / conversion to Christianity of the city). The actions of the two myths are situated far away "magical" realms..
The warrior legends
There are numerous legends arisen from warlike confrontations. And in many, Saint George appears, who always appears at the decisive moment of the battle on the side of the Christian warriors. All these accounts of the saint's appearances are written from the 14th century, although some make references to miraculous appearances of previous events.
The legend of Saint George Verde
Possibly originates from the same name as Jorge. Jorge in Greek is Georgiósy means peasant, the man of the earth, who loves her and works for her. In Arabic it is Khidhr, what does green mean. It is a belief of the peoples of Romania and Slovenia, among others that where Saint George passes, everything fills up with green, vegetation. This legend fits with the popular saying of our land ‘’ Per sant Jordi, ear the barley ''.
To the Slovenian region of MurskaSóbota, youth gangs choose two. One is dressed in garlands of flowers and green rivets and proclaimed ZelonoJurij, Jorge Verde, symbol of spring. The other boy, they dress him in a burlap fabric, and they put dark skins on him, representing winter. The two characters, Accompanied by the whole group, they take a tour from town to town, between songs that announce the end of winter, the dark season, and the arrival of spring, coming from the hand of Saint George. The party ends with the fight between Zelono Jurij against the dark character who is finally defeated..

Between the Slavic peoples of Carinthia and the Gypsies of Transylvania- writes writer J.G. Frazen in the book The Golden Branch-, the feast of St. George is the main one in spring. Some have it on Easter Monday; the others the 23 of April. The main figure of
Party, Green George, a young man covered from head to toe with leaves and flowers. The young man is throwing bouquets of herbs to the animals to keep them food all year round. Then he takes three iron nails that have been under water for three days and three nights and stakes them in an elderberry log; then he plucks them and throws them into the river to satisfy the spirit of the waters. Finally, They pretend to throw Green George into the river by making a doll with tree branches.

Brotherhood of Saint George
The Brotherhood of Sant Jordi is a public religious association established in the Parish of Santa María de Banyeres de Mariola, canonically constituted according to cc. 298 Y 313 of the Code of Canon Law, which is governed by its Statutes, the provisions of universal and particular law of the Catholic Church.
Since the year 2008 is registered in the Neighborhood Associations Registry of the Banyeres de Mariola City Council, and from the 24 May 2010 in the Registry of Religious Entities of the Ministry of Justice.
The Brotherhood of Sant Jordi intends to promote public worship of the Patron Saint George, feeling the depositary and being the custodian of a long religious legacy of great magnitude and depth in the religious life of Banyeres de Mariola and in that of the Christian community.
Another of the purposes of the Brotherhood is to assume the responsibility and organization of the liturgical and religious acts of the patron saint festivities that they celebrate for a greater glory of Saint George.
Finally, the Brotherhood cares for and guards the hermitage of San Jorge and its image, the altar of the transept in the Parish Temple , the altar and processional image, the dressing room of the Chapel, the walk and processional float, and all objects of worship that belong to the patrimony of the Brotherhood. The brotherhood is organized by the General Assembly of Brotherhoods, that is celebrated every year, the board of directors, who is in charge of its management, The Mayorals board, who are the presidents of previous years who advise the current government team, and finally there is the Council of the Brotherhood, the parish priest, who is in charge of the religious advice of the Association.
The conjurer
Old hermitage of the saint at the foot of the Castle
This hermitage was located at the foot of the castle. It is surely the first hermitage that was built in Banyeres. Currently, only part of the foundations of the original hermitage are preserved. It was square in plan and there are photographs in which it can be seen.
The oldest written notice that is preserved dates from the 24 October 1610, on the occasion of the pastoral visit of the Archbishop of Valencia, San Juan de Ribera, in which the third precept orders that it be done “an altarpiece for the good, decent and worthy custody of the image of Saint George in his hermitage located in the castle”.

In Her Majesty's Royal Order of 18 April 1790, in the list of the first two parties of the four that make up the Archdiocese of Valencia, appears: “near Bañeres, On a rock there is a castle surrounded by somewhat demolished walls that were renovated in 1700, when the wars of succession was in the Troop of Mr.. Felipe Quinto, when the Battle of Almansa took place, and there was a Chapel dedicated to N.S. Saint George that is currently unused to celebrate Mass”.
Image of Saint George "the Elder"
This primitive image of Saint George that was kept in the hermitage of the conjurator, at the foot of the castle is currently missing. It was known as ‘’ the Vellet ’’ for being the oldest preserved of the pattern in this town. There is no photographic document, so your description is based on oral testimonies. Already the Reverend Francisco Berenguer Mora, a humble priest son of this town, in his book Bañeres y San Jorge, which was the first history book, solely and exclusively dedicated to Banyeres de Mariola, described this disappeared image thus: ‘’ Saint George the Vellet, which is standing, He carries a spear in his right hand and a shield in his left, on his chest the red cross and girdle band. This picture, if we have tradition as our guide, was before building the new church, in the hermitage of his name, called the Conjurer because a priest goes there, whenever storm appears, to conjure the storm and to ask for the protection of Saint George while in the Parish the bell of his name is turned so that it also drives away the black clouds, not being able to say that Saint George has neglected his prayers whenever the neighbors have invoked him in these troubles, imploring your assistance and asking for your favor. ''
As the condition of the hermitage worsened, the image was transferred to the parish temple, since it consists in several inventories that he kept with his urn in the storage room No. 2. There is also evidence in these records of a walk for San Jorge ‘’ the Vellet ’’ with four lanterns and its drawer, this time kept in storage room nº3
There is a copy of 1802 of this image, property of Presenta Bodí Albero. The original is not sure what material it was. There are people who said it was a wood carving, other people, instead he said it was very heavy, Thus, cast era.
During the sixties a group of people headed by José Mª Pascual and Juan Belda, they were concerned about knowing the whereabouts of the image of Sant Jordi el Vellet.
Infinite hypotheses were considered, until one day when Juan Belda and José Mª Pascual met in the street, the first told the second that he had a clue as to where Sant Jordi could be found, but José Mª was going to Castellón and when he returned they told him that his friend Juan had died, taking with him the true or false news.
Starting from scratch and with the same illusions, the Board of the Brotherhood of San Jorge undertaking new inquiries, that led them to Barcelona to an antique dealer's shop. The clue turned out to be false.
Already in the 1980 the Brotherhood of Saint George, Taking advantage of the celebrations of the II Centenary of the arrival of the Relic of the saint to this town, conveyed to the town of Banyeres his concern to know the whereabouts of the image and thus be able to recover it. The opportunity was given that if someone was holding her for family or personal reasons, be able to make your withdrawal anonymously. But it is not believed that anyone from Banyeres has these prejudices. His whereabouts are simply believed to be unknown. Two hypotheses are disputed about what happened to the figure: Possibly a citizen would wall her up to protect her from war, so there is still hope of recovering them or that being made of metal it would melt for other purposes.
The prayers
There is an old popular custom of requesting rain in times of drought, as well as praying that the storms did not cause damage. For this, each year the terms or cardinal points were blessed.
When the drought punished the fields and crops, in which the town, preceded by the parish cross, accompanied by the clergy and authorities, They went out praying from the church carrying the image of Sant Jordi ‘’ El Vellet ’’ and continuing through the ‘’ camídelsvinyals ’’ they reached the crosses, in front of the Roig mill and they were returning by today Camí de les creusy per les mills back to the Church. During the journey the fifteen mysteries of the rosary were prayed and the complete litanies were sung to all the saints.. The popular picaresque says that when the faithful sang '' we beg you to hear us '' the owners and workers of the roof tiles, for whose office the sun was paramount, they sang sun and air and no water, so there were always those who left satisfied with the prayers.
If we pay attention to what is reflected in the joys of Saint George, when there was a storm the bell of the hermitage of Santo Cristo, that of Saint Mary Magdalene and that of Saint George in the church turned with fearlessness trying to dispel it.
In prevention, both storms and drought, every 3 of May, after the morning mass, the parish priest or one of the priests, from the hermitage of Santa María Magdalena and later from that of Santo Cristo, He blessed the terms by praying and sprinkling the four cardinal points with holy water to protect the crops in the fields and the work in the factories. Currently the terms are usually blessed at the request of the Christian troupe, when they celebrate their annual mass and remove the flag of Santo Cristo at the end of the festivities, always before Pentecost Passover.
Relics
Primitive relic of Saint George
In the ‘’ Cuadernd’estudislocals nº2 ’’ you can read the first written news that we have:
"In the protocols of Laureano Ballester (1703 – 1704) active clerk in the second half of the s. XVIII, the first inventory of the old church appears.
According to inventory terms, according to the custom of the time, the clerk testifies to the act, convened in the parochial church of the University of Bañeras by the rector MosenLloréns, in the presence of Bernardo Sanz, Mayor, Juan Albero de Juan and Antonio Albero, jurors. Only objects and clothes would be invented. […] In 1742, on the occasion of the construction of the new parish church of Sta. Maria, the last inventory of the old church is practiced and written, by the clerk Laureano Ballester, in the presence of Dr. D. Mauro Aparici and with the assistance of Fray Urbano Ferre, religious minimum of San Sebastián, in Valencia, Carlos Albero, ordinary mayor, Pedro Tree, dean alderman, Marcelino Doménech and Asensi Berenguer, aldermen, Vicente Tortosa, prosecutor, and the witnesses; inventoried objects that are symbolically given to the new priest.
A golden Reliquary with its silver cross and wooden foot. In it there are the relics of San Blas, Saint Peter, Santa Barbara, Saint Agatha, Santa Leocadia, Saint George, of the Cross of Christ, San Vicente Ferrer, a money of those who sold Christ Our Lord, of San Vicente Mártir, San Francisco, Saint Onofre, Saint Sebastian, San Mauro and another of the place where the angel announced to the Virgin”.
No documentation of this primitive relic is preserved, Unfortunately, as almost the entire parish archive disappeared in the civil war.

The relic of Saint George of 1780

This relic arrived in Banyeres de Mariola on the first weekend of the month September of the year 1780, resting at the El Morer farm, (located on the outskirts of town) Saturday night. On Sunday morning, he was received by all the revelers of the town with gun salutes..
The relic is composed of a Reliquary made of chiseled silver, turned and cast. This reliquary dates from the 18th century and is decorated with floral motifs around the relic. The set is topped by the Banyeres de Mariola shield, engraved on the upper oval and by a small cross. The author is unknown, but at the foot of the relic are the initials ‘’ L.T. ’’.
In the year 1980, the City Council of Banyeres de Mariola, I place the silver medal of the municipality, on the occasion of the II Centenary of his arrival in 1780.
In the year 1985 a larger scale replica of the relic was made. This reliquary was carved and gilded by the members of the Board of Directors.

The replica was built with the intention of removing the original relic, in the Solemn Procession of the Relic, taking advantage of the mechanized float that had been recovered years before to take out Saint George in procession.
In the year 2010 this work was restored and plated with water-burnished fine silver. From then on, the reliquary was placed in the dressing room of Saint George., in the Capelli de la Comunión of the Parish Church of Santa María, together with the anda de san Jorge ‘’ el Xicotet ’’

The second relic of Saint George of the 2003
The 7 September of the year 2003 the second Relic of St. George arrived in Banyeres de Mariola from Rome. This was achieved thanks to the efforts of the parish priest of the Parish of Banyeres de Mariola and councilor of the Brotherhood of San Jorge, Ricardo Diaz de Rabago and Verdeguer, as well as by the procedures of Bishop Vicente Juan Segura, who a year later returned to the town to bless the reliquary that since then guards the relic.
The Reliquary was designed by the famous artist from Alcoy Rafael Guarinos, following the architectural lines of the first church built in honor of Saint George. The project was carried out by the famous Valencian goldsmith Vicente David Gomez. The enamels are the work of Mª Jesús Gomara from Madrid from the company Talleres de Arte Granda.
Since the year 2004 The entire set is permanently exhibited in the lower part of the altar of Saint George of the Parish Church of Santa María.

II Centenary of the arrival of the relic of Saint George.
In 1980 were fulfilled 200 years since the arrival of the relic of Saint George in Banyeres, brought by Father Juan Bautista Domenech from Rome and the entire town celebrated a feast to celebrate such an important milestone. In the book Confraria de Sant Jordi the authors narrate in first person the process of organizing this festival.
‘’ Keeping the pace of work, It was when the friend José Mª Pascual Castelló ‘’ Pompeyo ’’, He appeared at the Abbey House and reminded us that the 7 of September, Sunday, the coming of the Relic of Saint George to Banyeres was two hundred years old, as cited above, motivating the initiation of the celebration.
The lack of religious archives due to their destruction due to the civil war and the entrepreneurial and industrious nature of the Banyerense, worrying more about the positive results of its economy than its history, they hurt that nobody took into account the detail, which on the other hand is the basis of a party, that is celebrated every year with great fervor.
From the devastating fire of the thirties, some copies of the book Banyeres y San Jorge were saved, in which Don Francisco Berenguer Mora, first known historian of the town, left sufficient documentation on Saint George and his Relic. To him and the person of his nephew José Mª Pascual Castelló, we owe the celebration of the II Centenary of the coming of the Relic of Saint George. Thank you!
Immediately D. Ricardo Díaz de Rábago and Verdeguer as Parish Priest and Octavio Gracia Payà as President of the Brotherhood, they visited the then Mayor of the City Council José Barceló Sanjuán and the President of the San Jorge Festival Commission, Matías Vañó Agredas, who, as local authorities, offered them collaboration and support to undertake the celebration.
The Archdiocese was investigated in search of the documentation that had been lost here, with the bad luck that the Diocesan Archive, in the forties it suffered a partial fire, precisely where was related to the Relic and other documents of that time.
Neither could Father Clemente Martín, despite your attempts, find the documentation in Rome.
But there was the Relic, the tradition of your party, the book Banyeres y San Jorge de D. Francisco Berenguer Mora and a decimet printed in 1883, that the poet D. Emilio Berenguer Mora wrote dedicated to his friend the Maestro Victoriano Martínez Francés, on the occasion of his position as Major Captain of the Comparsa de Cristianos, and what does it say like this.

‘’ IN THE HOLY RELIC OF SAINT CHORDI
Pastern
Sentañsfáqu took me
peragloria of Banyeres;
sure if you worship me
grasia no t’ha de faltar’’

Ante fecha tan señalada en la que se trataba de conmemorar un hecho que marcó positivamente nuestras fiestas que se celebran ya de antiguo, y la devoción hacia quien las inspiró, trazando varios planes, decidiendo celebrar esta conmemoración con un año de fiesta, que se abriría con la de la Reliquia de 1980, siendo clausurado en la misma fiesta de 1981.
Para que todo Banyeres se sintiera protagonista de esta celebración, se estudió y dividió el pueblo en ocho sectores, para que cada uno de ellos celebrara durante una semana este acontecimiento, según la imaginación de sus habitantes.
Our purpose was for the Relic to visit every house where there was a sick or handicapped person., for which a common act was implemented in all sectors, which consisted of a procession with the flags of each party troupe, in which the Relic would move to a point in the sector, campaign mass would be celebrated and later he would visit all the sick or disabled who requested it.
All the sectors celebrated the Eucharist in campaign, for which the neighbors set up artistic altars in whose elaboration many hours were spent. On the visit to the Relic, it was truly exciting to see the tenderness and love, with which the elderly and disabled in each neighborhood received it. As an anecdote it can be noted that some of them, they were made to move to other relatives' house, in order to have the privilege of being visited more than once by the Relic of the Patron.
They could not miss, being the origin of our festivals the Moors and Christians the cult of Saint George, two events held equally by all sectors: the toilet and the target.
These two acts together with the procession and mass of the relic, were accompanied by the Banyerense Musical Society, […]. ‘’
Also noteworthy of this celebration is the issuance of the commemorative medal of the II Centenary. The sketch, that was approved at the meeting of the Cofradía de San Jorge is the work of the artist from Barcelona d. Rowing Paschal. In said medal, en el anverso se encontraba el Campanario de la Iglesia parroquial, una copia del san Jorge del maestro Martínez. Wrapping the steeple are two ribbons, the national flag and the regional flag. On the flags you can see 1780- 1980, years that marked the celebration, and the crescent and the cross, representing that they are festivals of Moors and Christians. Joining the two ribbons is the seal of the locality. On the back of the medal you can see a view of the castle, emblem of our people, and the reliquary-Relic of Saint George, reason for this celebration.
Of the oral testimonies that informed me for the work, all highlight the camaraderie with which the acts of the different; how they had a good time making the altars and preparing the decoration of the streets. It was a project that gave very satisfactory results and that brought together the neighborhoods to celebrate the festivity of the patron.

The altar of Saint George
The altar of Saint George
The altar of Saint George located in the transept of the Parish Church of Santa María was built by Ramón Porta Francés in 1947, being its cost 20.000 pesetas that were paid by Emilia Pascual Colomina. They were paid as follows: 2000 pesetas when signing the contract, 2000 monthly pesetas from August, when the construction began, liquidating the rest at the end of the construction of the Altar.
Two sketches were made of the altarpiece with few differences between the two. was chosen, evidently the one that is currently in the parish temple and at the time of building it small modifications were added to include a funicular under the image of the patron among other changes.
The altar is baroque style, like the rest of the altars of the same parish church, and following the aesthetic approaches marked by the main altar. The Parish Temple Restoration Commission, after the Civil War, so decided, to win in aesthetic harmony.
The altarpiece was built in pine wood, without any finish. Coast of the base and two levels and the auction. The base is divided into two levels. In the first and lower housed the Altar table, and on this a funicula, where today the second Relic of Saint George is exposed. About this, three funiculars: the largest central i, which houses Saint George inside, and to the sides, two smaller, the one to the right of the patron saint is San Blas and to the left, San Luis de Gongora. The upper level houses a painting of Saint Vincent Martyr. At the top there is an auction, symbolizing the radiance of holiness, and above him a white cloud, with the iconographic elements of Saint George: the helmet, sword and shield with cross.
The team of professionals and artists who built the altar are: Ramon Porta Francés, who did the gold work, in addition to being in charge of the coordination of the entire team of people. Your son, Ramón Porta Llorca helped his father with the gold work. The rest of the team is made up of the sculptor Francisco Terol, author of most of the images of the parish temple, the painter Salvador Gil, the carpenter Jesús Centella and the carver Francisco López Pardo and Felipe Oltra.

The image of Saint George
Ancient image of Saint George
The oldest image that was venerated on the altar of Saint George, and of which there is news, it was the work of Antonio Esteve Romero, a valued and famous Valencian sculptor. The sculpture was made in the year 1841, in polychrome and gilded wood.
The image represents the saint, on the back of his white horse, spearing the dragon. This image is representative of the helmet worn by Saint George with striking feathers. Also highlights the bulky skirt.
It was destroyed on 27 July 1936, siendo quemada junto a todas las imágenes, retablos, objetos de culto, etc.… propiedad de la Iglesia parroquial, en el paraje del Plà Roig, a causa de la guerra civil.
Una vez que el gran fuego que destruyó prácticamente todo el patrimonio de nuestro pueblo, Juan Sempere Ferre ‘’Manso’’, siendo un niño, recogió del montón de cenizas que quedó, una de las cuatro patas del caballo y una de las borlas del guión de san Jorge, arriesgándose, ya que si lo hubieran visto, seguramente le hubieran puesto algún tipo de condena.
Hoy en día, tanto la pata como la borla, son custodiadas por la familia Sempere-Avellán.

Image of Saint George
La imagen de nuestro patrón san Jorge que preside des de 1947 its altar in the Parish Church of Santa María replaces the previous one that was burned due to the war. It is a polychrome wood carving, gold and silver, of great proportions, 2,35 meters high. This image represents the saint, clad in armor and a rich cloak, on the back of his white horse, as he spears the dragon, on top of some rocks. It was made by the sculptor José VillalbaRafel from Barcelona. Its price was around 15.000 pesetas.
The image was donated by Víctor Miguel Sempere Castelló and was blessed on 31 of August 1940, organizing a solemn procession from Laporta street, nº 40, where was the factory of D. Bartolomé Sempere to the parish church.
The 23 April 1980, being president of the Brotherhood of Saint George, Octavio García Payà went out in Solemn Procession through the streets of the town, coupling on top of a float, since due to its large size and the narrowness of the central streets of the town it is practically impossible to be able to do it on a platform.

Saint George's bracelet.
‘’The image of Saint George, who was blessed 31 August 1940, All the people of Banyer have it in their retinas and it can be affirmed that none of them are unaware of it. But what the vast majority do not know is that, years, the aforementioned image wears a bracelet on its breastplate, gift from a devoted banyerense, that now, without going into small details or family issues that contribute little to the main reason, Its history is summarized below..
In the first third of the 20th century, Banyeres was a population of unos 3900 population, almost half than now, and the industry already had its importance in the population, the trash can, more consolidated and in full expansion, and the textile, starting its takeoff that would make it, later, in the main activity of the town.
The protagonists of this story are, on the one hand, the pharmacist, whom we will call Joseph, that was native to another population, he was married with children, and the daughter of one of the most well-known families in the town, that she was single, whom we will call Maria and on the other hand, the mother of said lady, whom we will call Eulalia. names are fictitious.
Both families lived in CarrerNou and maintained good neighborly relations.
Maria was interested in learning to play the piano, somewhat difficult thing in Banyeres pues, in those years, There were not many people trained for this task..
Joseph the pharmacist, who knew how to play the piano, upon learning of Maria's concerns, offered to teach them. The daily contact reason that the initial friendship, slowly, turned into a more intimate relationship.
After a while, one day in the morning, a car appeared parked in the Barranc Fondo, which caused some surprise in the neighborhood because there were few vehicles that were circulating through the town. It was also seen by Eulalia from the terrace of her house, what caused you concern.
The car left where it was parked, al tiempo que conforme avanzaba el día, ambas familias se daban cuenta de la desaparición de José y María, causándoles una gran consternación.
Pronto corrió la noticia de que ambos se habían ido juntos de Banyeres, en el citado vehículo, abandonando sus respectivas familias.
Entonces no existía el divorció, ni eran frecuentes las separaciones y menos aún en las poblaciones pequeñas.
El tiempo fue transcurriendo sin que se tuvieran noticias de ellos. La familia del farmacéutico se fue a vivir fuera de Banyeres.
Eulalia. Muy dolorida por estos acontecimientos, decía que estaba mal lo que había hecho su hija, pero como madre le pedía continuamente al patrón san Jorge, de la cual era muy devota, having news and knowing where they were and what their state of health was.
Civil War broke out (1936-1939) and the parish temple was turned into a market and the images burned. One of the first to recover, the contest is over, It was Saint George's, placed on a table, because it still lacked an altarpiece , in the side chapel, where his altar had always been.
At the same time, in the forties of the 20th century, the local paper industry experienced a boom in exports of its products to Latin America, due in part, at the outbreak of World War II, causing among other disasters, lack of subjects and skills.
For this reason, a paper manufacturer from Banyer was forced to travel to Argentina to promote and sell its products..
Arriving at the address indicated by the client that he was going to visit, they find different doors on the landing so they have doubts about which one to call, deciding on one, trusting that it would be the right one, But when it opened, he was very surprised to see José and María appear, not expecting his visit..
As he returned to Banyeres, he lacked time to go to Eulalia's home, it was closed, the neighbors indicating that he was in the church where he directed his steps. Upon entering it, he saw her praying in front of the image of Saint George and once he was at her side, he told her: "I saw your daughter".
Eulalia, who was praying with his arms crossed, she touched the bracelet she was wearing with her hand and exclaimed gratefully: ''the bracelet for Sant Jordi''.
Shortly after, it was enshrined under the cross that he wears on his breastplate., continuing there today.
Years later the protagonists of this story would return to Spain, settling in Alicante.
This is the reason why the image of Saint George wears a bracelet.
In the celebrations of the II Centenary of the arrival of the Relic of San Jorge to Banyeres de Mariola, the silver medal of the population was imposed on the reliquary.
In some towns, the images of the patron saints wear different jewels that have been donated to them by their devotees.. Since the Second Vatican Council, Attempts have been made to curb this custom, so today, most of them, have been deposited in parish or diocesan museums.
For all these reasons, the board of the Brotherhood of San Jorge, has been established for some years, not accepting the intentions of some residents of the population in this regard and yes to maintain the aforementioned bracelet for its exceptional nature, recommending that devotees please give our patron with objects of a different nature that can do so, but that these will be exposed in the Headquarters of the Brotherhood. ‘’
This text is extracted from the Moors and Christians festival program of the year 2010 edited every year by the Festival Commission and the City Council, on the occasion of the feast of Saint George, of the 22 to April 25. The text is in the history section and its author is José Luis Vañó Pont.

The image of San Jorge "The Little One"
The image of San Jorge "El Cicotet"
The image of San Jorge patron saint of Banyeres de Mariola, affectionately called "the little one", is the work of the famous Valencian sculptor and carver José Justo Villalba, who made it in 1944.
It is a smaller scale replica of the image that is venerated in the Altar of the Holy, located in the Parish Church of Santa María de Banyeres de Mariola, made in 1940 and that until 23 April of the year 1980 it did not go out in procession due to its dimensions and weight, It is made of carved polychrome wood., gold and silver.
She is currently venerated in her hermitage of Banyeres de Mariola. Each 21 de Abril leaves in procession from his hermitage in Transfer of the image of the saint to the Parish Church on the eve of the patron saint festivities. He presides over all the festivities and the Octavary of Saint George from the presbytery of the Church of Saint Mary. The festivities come to his with the Transfer of the Church to the hermitage, where it is deposited until next year.

The Walks of San Jorge "El Chicotet"
Earlier 1963 the Brotherhood of Saint George, chaired by José Albero Puerto, It was concluded that the participation and development of the Solemn Procession of the Saint was very good, but when you reach the climax, the passage of the image of the saint, it was very simple with a normal walk, since he was very poor. So it was convenient to make a new one to highlight the Pattern Image. An assembly was convened at the Charity Theater (At the beginning of) that was filled with public. In said assembly, the project and the need to carry it out were presented.. The decision was made to undertake immediately and that the new platform had an appearance similar to that of the platform prior to the civil war..
Blessed was the morning of 22 of April, having been carved and gilded in fine gold, burnished and polychrome, being paid in full by the banyerense Gregorio Molina Ribera. It premiered in the solemn procession of Saint George's Day that same year.
Both the image and the litter have been recently restored, since the woodworm was wreaking havoc on the image and it was in poor condition. Contact the Valencian company Art i Restauració de Algemesí. The set was ready for the patron saint festivities of the 2010. During the two months that the restoration lasted, the opportunity was taken to restore the dressing room and change the electrical installation of the platform..

St. George's dressing room.
In 1965 the brotherhood of saint george, being president José Albero Puerto, I take advantage of a small space that was left in the Chapel of Communion, in the Parish Church of Santa Maria, decides to build the chapel of San Jorge there, to be able to keep there the image of San Jordi "the little one" and his anda, because in those years, the saint did not have a hermitage. Said litters a couple of years ago that they had been released.
The construction of this dressing room would be in charge of people from the town, as expressed by the board of directors of the brotherhood. There was a decoration project that had to be carried out by a company from Valencia, but that never came to fruition.
Once the works are finished, it was commissioned to the local painter and artist Juan Domenech Sarrió (Juanito, the painter) the decoration of the same with mural paintings that made reference to the patron Saint George. On the left, there is a representation of Saint George, which is dressed in a medieval way, in his hand he carries a rose and a shield, in which time to carry the cross, is the coat of arms of the town, with the letters N, F, R, L (Noble, Fell, Real, Leal). Behind the saint is his white horse and at his feet the dragon which is dying with a spear stuck in its mouth.
In the right mural you can see a princess with a red dress. Behind her you can see a castle with some rosebushes. And finally, there is a third wall painting on the ceiling. Two angels are represented carrying two palms that symbolize the martyrdom of the saint.
Before the headquarters were built, the script was hung on the back wall. Years later, this room was equipped with a sliding door for its greater protection of the Image and the walk and that allowed to contemplate the artistic set.
In March of 2009, the brotherhood of San Jorge began restoration work on this place. The restoration of this place had been pending after the sanitation works, moisture repair and cleaning of the entire chapel, leaving even the dressing room without changing the pavement. The restoration consisted of two parts: The first consisted of isolating dampness and repairing cracks that could have come out. It was also redecorated, following the artistic patterns that I had already. The moldings were decorated with gold leaf and the moldings were marbled. The paintings of Juanito ''the painter'' were respected and left as is, since they have more than 40 years and great artistic and devotional value. The second phase consisted of changing the pavement. A new one made of white marble was placed to replace the original, which was already very deteriorated..

Hermitage of San Jorge
A neo-Gothic hermitage in the “Molí Sol”
The "Molí Sol" was built in 1856, next to the Torró flour mill. It was built by the same owner of the flour mill, Pedro Quilez, dedicating himself uninterruptedly to the production of cigarette paper..
At the end of the 19th century it was acquired by José Laporta Valor, who would expand it and give it the presence that it still retains today. Laporta baptized it as Black and White, becoming the most important producing center for the production of cigarette paper booklets, after Alcoi, launching countless prestigious brands, like black and white, The car, Sol, At the tipping point... etc. In 1934 becomes part of Papeleras Reunidas S.A.. continuing with the elaboration of cigarette paper, together with that of tissue papers, do you copy, handles and others.
Due to the boom years, possibly in the years of the First World War (1914-1918), in which Spain did not participate, and therefore they were years of great production and good benefits, José Laporta decided to build a hermitage in his factory, neo-gothic style, of silería stone and dedicated to the Immaculate Conception since his wife was called Concha, in which inside were the paintings and images of saints, whose names their children bore.
In this hermitage, mass was celebrated on Sundays and a precept party was attended by the owner family., the neighbors and employees who were there: Previously, the person in charge went up with the tartan to pick up the priest.
in the civil war (1936-1939) the hermitage was totally assaulted, burning up, as in the parish temple, all oils, images…etc. Only a small image of Santa Rita was saved, which is kept by a family from Banyeres.
Once the war is over, the hermitage became a warehouse and archive, until the closure of the factory. When the company Papeleras Reunidas went bankrupt, the mill was totally abandoned, with the respective deterioration.
Don Ricardo Diaz de Rabago y Verdeguer, parish priest of Banyeres, Given the situation, met with the president of Papeleras Reunidas S.A., Don Jorge Silvestre Andres. They reached an agreement that the hermitage could be dismantled stone by stone, and become the property of the Parish of Banyeres de Mariola.
Already in the summer of 1986, the members of the Edelweiss group of the parish, they dismantled the hermitage of "the mill", being numbered and placed in order. Later they moved with a truck from the factory to the old cemetery of the town, being deposited in the same order in which it had been dismantled.

Recovery and restoration
Once the patron saint festivities of San Jorge de 1988, the new Board of Directors that took office, chaired by Francisco Belda Llopis, they decide to rebuild the dismantled hermitage in the Old Cemetery, that years before had moved from the Molí Solpiedra to stone.
The reconstruction project was entrusted to the architect Francisco Picó Silvestre. Once the project was approved, the works began and also the preparations for the laying of the first stone on 8 of January of 1989.
In the book Confraria de Sant Jordi there is evidence of this act: ‘Upon reaching the point indicated for the laying of the first stone, the president of the Brotherhood asked the Mayor for permission to start the act, that began with the blessing, by the parish priest, of the first stone; then the notarial act of presence was read, which was then signed by the Mayor and the Parish Priest, proceeding to introduce it into the stone, With: list of signatures of the Municipal Corporation, Parish Council and Confraternity Board; postmarked commemorative card; coins and postage stamps of the time; three photographs of Banyeres; Alleluia parish sheet; Copies of City newspapers, Information and the Truth, in which the news of this act and two instant photographs of this event appeared.’’
The hermitage would be so that the town would have a place to worship the patron, That is why the Board of the Brotherhood did not want the works to go unnoticed by the town, but that he would get involved and take part in it.
The works for the foundations began the day 21 of February. For the construction of the hermitage, the brotherhood of san Jorge contacted the Escuela Taller de Alcoy, with which a quick agreement was reached with the task of reconstruction on the day 15 of March.
The initial project had to be modified to add a small apse, with stone from La Pedrera, given by José Ramón Ferre Silvestre "Rufo".
The day 21 de Mayo the highest point is achieved with the placement of the bell tower or belfry For which, the Brotherhood Board decided to place a flag at the highest point, following the construction tradition of placing a flag when no relevant accident has occurred on the construction site. The only modification that this tradition suffered is to change the national flag for the flag of Saint George.
The bell of the Molí Sol hermitage, had disappeared due to the Civil War in 1936, for which a new one had to be ordered from the Manclús Workshop, From Valencia, which arrived in Banyeres on 20 of August, being exposed until the day 3 of September, Feast of the Relic of Saint George, when she was blessed at High Mass by the most illustrious Mr.. Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Valencia, Juan Perez Navarro. The Brotherhood wanted the godparents of the bell to be the oldest brother and the youngest brother. They acted as godparents Ricardo Pont Ferre of 91 years old and Lidia Sanchis Ferre, of 6 months. In this bell you can read the inscription ''Vitol al patró sant Jordi, 3 of September 1989''. I am placed in his place 11 March 1990.
Once the patron saint festivities of 1990, the stained glass windows of the apse and the main façade were placed. In the book Confraria de Sant Jordi he describes them as follows:: ‘’ The stained glass windows of the apse, the one on the left has, the coat of arms of Banyeres arrives, below the image of Saint George el Vellet, and then the shields of the five comparsas of the Christian side, so in the parish, in the celebration of the High Mass, the Christian side is placed entering the left, and the Moorish side to the right, so the stained glass window on the right bears, above the shield of the Sant Jordi Festival Commission, below the image of Sant Jordi that presided over its altar until July 1936, in which it was burned at the beginning of the Civil War and then the five shields of the troupes of the Moorish side.’’
The stained glass windows are made by combining the technique of elemplorado with that of decorated glass, providing the interior set with a greater luminosity and warmth of the spiritual environment. These stained glass windows were made in the Vitrobén workshops in Valencia.
On the sidewalk that goes around the hermitage, six masts were placed on each side, to hoist the ten flags of the comparsas and the national flag to the right of the hermitage and the regional flag to the left on the traditional ''flag plant''.
The solemn blessing of the hermitage , and the inauguration of the San Jorge Municipal Park took place on 5 May 1990, day of the transfer of ascent of san Jorge, at five in the afternoon, being blessed by the Archbishop of Valencia, Mr. Miguel Roca Cabanellas, who, together with the local mayor, inaugurated the Park.
The total cost of rebuilding the hermitage amounted to 4.815.957 pesetas, which were paid for with the donations of private devotees, parades and proceeds from theatrical performances of the two local theater companies (La Rosera and Felipe Sempere), etc.…. Given the case that when the hermitage was blessed, this one was practically paid, so the response, in addition to being generous, was quick.

St George's Bell
The bell of Saint George in the Church of Sta. Maria
The bell of Saint George was manufactured by Juan Bautista Roser Soler, of Adzeneta de Albaida, en1951. It is oriented towards the mestral (northwest) and it has an approximate weight of 645 kilograms.
Its replacement after the civil war was thanks to voluntary donations by the entire town of bronze and copper materials to replace this bell..
From what the ‘’ Colla de campaners de la Valld’Albaida ’’ say, maybe the bell of St. George is a '' forgery '', since the letters of the inscription that identifies it are welded and not fused as they would have to be if it were newly created. This means that the bell would come from some parish and that they hid it during the years 1936-1939 in some foundry. In the case of being confirmed, it would give it a very important added value.
for our people, has a special meaning, since the Joys that are sung to Saint George, They refer to the bell that with great devotion the people used to ring for many years to ask their patron for protection and help..
When the storm roars
bell touches your
and the instant the storm
and course plays against.
And with such great devotion
leaves the people admired

The calyx and the frontal
In 2009, the board of directors, contact with the descendants of Gregorio Molina, to inform them that they were going to proceed with the restoration of the litter and image of the saint, that were donated by his grandfather, as well as the script. Thus began a series of negotiations until the granddaughters of the illustrious banyerense, MªJosé and Nieves Bizarro Molina, daughters of Nieves Molina Albero, will donate the chalice and the frontal in order to increase the heritage of Saint George. The frontal and the chalice were in the chapel of the castle of Játiva. Property of the Molina family- Tree, until a few years ago.
The front of the Altar is made of pale pink silk, and decorated with small embroidery and crystals, and with baroque-style borders and the Image of Saint George painted by hand as the central and main element, drawn with great precision and detail, work of A. Mataix.
the chalice, probably silver gilt. It is decorated with precision chiseled details in the baroque style.. It stands out for having embedded silver elements, the symbols of the eucharist, as well as three enamels embedded in its base, made with great definition and detail, representing Saint George, Saint Mary Magdalene and Saint Gregory Martyr and the cross, chiseled directly to the base, representing Jesus Christ, decorated with small sapphires, rubies, an emerald and a small diamond. the glazes, despite the fact that it was destined for the castle of Játiva, represent the two patron saints of the town, as well as Gregory Martyr, representing the owner. This shows that Gregorio Molina, He carried in his heart everything that had to do with Bañeres. The whole chalice is finished off with a copper paten, a white felt chalice holder with the representation of the holy spirit painted by hand, one on white Atar towel, of cotton, decorated with openwork and a silver-plated brass form holder. The whole set is protected by a case

The monument to Saint George
The conjurer's hermitage, above quoted, it was deteriorating, as well as the plot of land on which it was located. Due to economic hardship and war, it was destroyed and finally became a simple solar. Thanks to the concern of a resident of Banyeres, it was not totally lost, since in a particular way he bought the lot where it was located to protect it.
For many years the brotherhood of Saint George studied several projects to place a monolith in this place, sculpture, hermitage or any other monument that would remember the importance that this place had.
finally the day 11 of January of 2002 the project for the Monument to Saint George is presented at the Teatro Principal. Manuel Boix's work presents a Saint George who flees from the romantic model of Saint George ''el Vellet''. It is a new figure of refined style, precious. It shows a Saint George standing, no horse, balanced on top of the dragon.
The artist, who knows perfectly the specific point where the sculpture is going to be placed, Saint George is staged as if he had jumped from the castle, what is behind him, throwing himself bravely on top of the dragon, with a spear-cross in his hands (warrior weapon and christian symbol). The saint thrusts the spear into the wounded dragon with no apparent effort. The Martyr's Cloak, stretched out and lifted by the wind. It rises above the pedestal and gives the whole an optical sensation of not having gravity. It is also worth noting the face of Saint George, the serenity of the face, that has a renaissance air.
The monument is located in a privileged place in the town. At the back is the castle, maximum symbol of Banyeres. and in front of him, a global and aerial view of the town and a privileged view of the Sierra de Mariola.
The step from sculpture-model to sculpture-monument was approved the same day as the assembly and the sculptor, Manuel Boix immediately began modeling and preparing, together with the architect Francisco Picó Silvestre, the space where it was going to be located..
At that moment, the Brotherhood of Saint George began the fundraising campaign to finance and defray the costs of the sculpture.
The day 3 March of the 2003, a couple of cranes and a dozen workers install the monument in its location, a 815 meters above sea level, with the presence of authorities and with the blessing of the Archbishop of Valencia. And since it was a relevant work for the town of Banyeres, the bells fluttered until the monument was placed.
The same sculptor makes a series of seven scale reproductions signed and numbered. The first of these is guarded by the Brotherhood of Saint George at its headquarters. The rest were sold to individuals., except the last one that was raffled among the local comparsas, and it's the turn of the Student Row, who guards it in his maset, in a showcase, with internal light.

The pallium
History of the pallium
A canopy supported by rods is called a canopy or baldaquin.. They are usually six yards or more, but always an even number. It is used to protect the priest who carries the Blessed Sacrament or the relics of a saint. It is also used for the same use by kings, the pope or other people with certain functions. They use it in their public appearances in cities. It is usually richly embroidered on its falls or backstage, as well as on the roof or sky.
The pallium comes from medieval origins when the king or nobles of the court or high officials of the Church had to attend public acts. They were protected from the sun and rain by a canopy. this shelf